Concorde: Supersonic Speedbird - The Full Story by Bernard Bale, Dan Sharp, Mike Bannister (Bookazine)
International delivery charges are calculated at checkout.
A wonder of innovation, a symbol of Anglo-French cooperation, an icon of the 20th century - Concorde pushed the boundaries of speed, technology and luxury. The magnificent white bird, travelling at twice the speed of sound between London, Paris and New York represented the pinnacle of commercial air travel.
When it first took to the skies in 1969 its systems were the most refined and electronically complex ever seen, its pointed nose, slender fuselage and delta wing gave it the appearance of an arrow pointed at the horizon and its engines powered it to speeds faster than a rifle bullet.
Concorde's passengers were heads of state, royalty, pop stars, millionaires and those so caught up in the dream of supersonic flight that they were willing to part with the enormous cost of a ticket for the greatest airliner ever made.
Concorde: The Dream That Took Flight tells the full story of this incredible aircraft from the plans laid during the darkest days of the Second World War to the international race to create the world's first supersonic transport, the test flights, the controversy over sonic boom shockwaves, the years of service and the disaster that finally brought them to an end. A decade after Concorde's last flight, the chances of Concorde's resurrection are examined and the future of supersonic transport is explored.
This is the amazing story of a dream that became a reality shared by thousands of admirers all over the world. It is the complete story of Concorde.
- The origins of supersonic flight
Airliner of the future
- The race to build the world's first supersonic transport
On the shop floor
- building a legend
In the air
- the test flights
Up, up and away
- the beginning of commercial flights
Those magnificent men
- the story of Concorde's first pilots
And a magnificent lady
- the hairdresser who became Concorde's first female commercial pilot
The airports that welcomed Concorde (and those that didn't)
- controversy over international routes and sales
Smiles in the air
- Concorde's stewards
Flying on board Concorde
- what you could expect on a typical flight
Concorde's special occasions
- the milestones of supersonic flight
What Concorde meant to the French
- the French love affair with Concorde
Concorde's role in Live Aid
- the aircraft's role in the iconic '80s rock show
- from Paul McCartney to Margaret Thatcher and Joan Collins
- how the aircraft always held a particular appeal for royalty
- the supersonic luxury experience included fine foods and even finer wine
When it all went wrong
- the catastrophic crash in 2000 that heralded the end of Concorde
The last farewell
- the final flights and ceremonies held on both sides of the Channel to say goodbye
Where Concorde can be seen now
- the surviving airframes and where to find them
Will Concorde ever fly again?
- the potential for bringing back the supersonic icon is assessed
Concorde: the details
- all the facts and figures
Son of Concorde
- plans are under way around the world to build a successor to Concorde
Concorde: Supersonic Speedbird
- The Full Story
By Bernard Bale, Dan Sharp and Mike Bannister